Tag Archive: Version 1

Some Plans

January 22, 2012 Leave your thoughts

It has been so long since I have started this journey.  I really hope to have something to show for all my work soon.  The plan is to get a company to cast my first doll, which I will call PulkiDoll V1, as soon as I can.  I’ve been putting it off because it isn’t cheap and pretty risky for me.  I guess I am a little put off after my previous plans fell apart – I am worried that I will again be disappointed.  I am very scared that I will not sell enough to meet a minimum order, or that a lot of work will need to be done that will cost me.  I think she is pretty cast-able as is, but there are some parts that are pretty thin and awkward to mold that may need to be modified.  I really don’t care much about money or profit, but I’ve already sunk a lot into this and I need to make back some money if I want to eventually get my newer doll printed.  I am not too good at all this businessy stuff :P I hate dealing with money.

I plan on only doing one order of my V1 doll, unless there is a lot more interest than I expect.  She should be very limited – I am hoping to sell 50.  If I manage to sell those 50 dolls quickly, I will do more, but I don’t know how much interest there will be.  The doll companies really stepped up their game since I started and she isn’t really that special anymore, and she has her flaws (though probably not as much as I think – I tend to be way over critical of my own work).  I feel like a few years ago I would have had more luck, when it was harder to find artist dolls and before the amount of companies really expanded.  I am worried I missed my chance, but hopefully I can still squeeze in there and make something of all this.

After I am done everything with my V1 doll, I hope to move on to my current project, which I’ll just call my 65cm girl (or V2).  This doll will hopefully be more innovative (though I use that word loosely, since most of my ideas have already been done to some extent by other companies at this point) and more sturdy and structured now that I’ve learned from my mistakes and I actually know what I am doing.  I’ve learned how to to better deal with the more mechanical aspects like tension and all that so this doll should hold a pose better.  I’ve also figured out a lot of modeling techniques so I can better execute my ideas.  I am really looking forward to finishing her and getting get printed, but it might be a while.